1/11/13

Boz Scaggs describes what it feels like to sing

Singer Boz Scaggs (sang the hits “Lowdown” and “Lido Shuffle”) described it best when I asked him what singing feels like for him.

“It’s like flying. It’s like being free to soar. It’s challenging-going from one note to the next and one phrase to the next. You have to negotiate it. You have to know how to get there. They [notes] are like stepping stones and you have to hop, like crossing over a stream. It’s a beautiful feeling,” said Scaggs. “It resonates inside of you and it satisfies your musical perceptions. It’s just like flying. That’s the closest thing I can think of.”

Sometimes, I worry that I lost touch with the thrill of singing over time. Then my wife steps in and tells me how happy she is that Owen goes singing through his own days.

“He does that now, too,” she recently said. “You know he got that from you, right?”

Sometimes, when I am cutting Owen’s hair or getting him ready to go out, I will notice our songs clashing. We’ll be in a room together and slip into autopilot mode. We’ll both get lost in our heads and that is when our mouths open and melodies come out. They echo off the walls and make their way back to us, reminding us where we are. 

Sometimes, our songs don’t clash and we will sing together while brushing our teeth or washing our hands. My feelings are coming alive once again thanks to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment